CHURCHES - GOA
OF BOM JESUS
The Church of Bom Jesus is also of laterite; its exterior,
excepting the facade, was lime plastered, which was subsequently
removed. The roof was originally tiled. The church is cruciform
on plan. The flying buttresses on the northern side of the
church are recent additions. A single-storeyed structure
adjoining the church on its southern wing connects it with
the professed house...
One of the most ancient and celebrated religious buildings
of Goa, this magnificent 16th century monument to the Roman
Catholic rule in Goa under the Portuguese is the largest
church in Asia. The Cathedral is dedicated to St. Catherine
of Alexandria on whose feast day in 1510 Alfonso Albuquerque
defeated the Muslim army and took possession of the city
of Goa. Hence it is also known as St. Catherine's' Cathedral...
THE CHURCH OF
OUR LADY OF THE ROSARY, GOA
BNot far to the west of the Basilica of the Bom Jesus is the
Holy Hill at the extremity of which is the Church of Our Lady
of the Rosary. Built of laterite and plastered with lime mortar,
it has a two-storeyed portico. The portico as well as the
façade of the church has rounded towers on either side
with the cross on top...
AND CHURCH OF ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI, GOA
To the west of the Se Cathedral is the former palace of the
Archbishop that connects the Se Cathedral to the Convent and
Church of St. Francis of Assisi. The structure is built of
laterite blocks and is lime-plastered. The church faces west
and has a nave with three chapels on either side, a choir,
two altars in the transept and a main altar. To the north
of the main altar is a belfry and a sacristy...
THE REIS MAGOS
IThe small hamlet of Reis Magos lies on banks of the Mandovi
river and is home to two famous landmarks of Goa - the Reis
Magos fort and the Reis Magos Church. It is also one of only
three places in Goa, where the unique Feast of the Three Wise
Men is held...
RUINS OF ST.
AUGUSTINE'S TOWER IN GOA
IBuilt in 1602, the only ruin of the Church of St. Augustine
on the Holy Hill at Old Goa near the Nunnery is a lofty 46-metre
high tower defying the torrential rains. The tower is one
of the four of St. Augustine Church that once stood there.
There were eight richly adorned chapels and four altars, and
a convent with numerous cells and artistic columns attached
to the church...
OF ST. FRANCIS XAVIER
Behind the gate of St. Paul's college is a Kuchcha road branching
off the main road, leading to the chapel of St. Francis Xavier.
It is built of laterite plastered with lime mortar, with tiled
roof supported by wooden rafters is a plain chapel with only
OUR LADY OF
THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION CHURCH
The church was one of the first to be built in Goa, certainly
being there by 1541. The early church was completely re-built
from its foundations in 1619 and this was even considered,
taking accountof the still negligible population of the area
and the size of the new church, is a striking commentary on
the religious climateof the time and the wealth available
to the churches...